- Pointing to a photograph, Sathis said, “She is the daughter of my grandfather’s only son”. How is Sathis related to the girl in the photograph ?
A.) Father B.) Brother C.) Uncle D.) Cousin
Answer: B.) Brother
My grandfather’s only son – My father.
So, the girl is the daughter of Sathis’s father.
Sathis is the girl’s brother.
- Looking at a portrait of a man, Smith said, “His mother is the wife of my father’s son. Brothers and sisters I have none”. At whose portrait was Smith looking ?
A.) His son B.) His nephew C.) His uncle D.) His cousin
Answer: A.) His son
Since Smith has no brother or sister, so he is his father’s only son.
Now, wife of my father’s son – my wife.
So, Smith’s wife is the man’s mother or the man is Smith’s son.
- A girl introduced a boy as the son of the daughter of the father of her uncle. The boy is girl’s
A.) Brother B.) Son C.) Uncle D.) Son-in-law
Answer: A.) Brother
Daughter of uncle’s father – Uncle’s sister – Mother
Mother’s son – Brother.
- When Prithik saw Ajay, he recalled, “He is the son of the father of my daughter”. Who is Ajay ?
A.) Brother-in-law B.) Brother C.) Cousin D.) Uncle
Answer: A.) Brother-in-law
Prithik’s daughter’s mother – Prithik’s wife
Prithik’s wife’s father – Prithik’s father-in-law
Father-in-law’s son – Prithik’s brother-in-law.
So, Ajay is Prithik’s brother-in-law.
- Pointing towards a person in a photograph, Varsha said, “He is the only son of the father of my sister’s brother”. How is that person is related to Sathya ?
A.) Varsha Father B.) Varsha Mother C.) Varsha Brother D.) Maternal Uncle
Answer: C.) Varsha Brother
Relation’s given in the question may be analysed as follows :
Sister’s brother – brother
Brother’s father – father
Father’s son – brother
So he is Varsha Brother.
1. Reena is twice as old as Sunita. Three years ago, she was three times as old as Sunita. How old is Reena now ?
A. 6 years
B. 12 years
C. 14 years
D. 16 years
Answer : B. 12 years
Let Sunita’s present age = x years
Then Reena present age = 2x years
Three years ago
(2x-3) = 3(x-3)
2x – 3 = 3x – 9
Reena age = 2x = 2X6 = 12 year.
2. A group of 1200 persons consisting of captains and soldiers is travelling in a train. For every 15 soldiers there is one captain. The number of captains in the group is ?
Answer : B. 75
Generally we may commit mistake of dividing 1200/15.
But out of 16 persons there is one captain.
so, it will be 1200/16 = 75
3. First bunch of bananas has (1/4) again as many bananas as a second bunch. If the second bunch has 3 bananas less than the first bunch, then the number of bananas in the first bunch are
Answer : D. 15
Let the number of bananas in the second bunch be x.
Then, the number of bananas in the first bunch
= x + 1/4 x
= 5/4 x
So, 5/4 x – x = 3
=> 5x – 4x = 12
x = 12
Number of bananas in first bunch
= 5/4 X 12 = 15
4. A student got twice as many sums wrong as he got right. If he attempted 48 sums in all, how many did he solve correctly ?
Answer : B. 16
Suppose boy got x sums right and 2x sums wrong,
then, x + 2x = 48
=> 3x = 48
=> x = 16
5. A father is now three times as old as his son. Five years back, he was four times as old as his son. The age of the son is :
Answer : B. 15
Let son’s age be x then father’s age is 3x
Five years ago, father’s age = 3x-5 and son’s age x-5
So, 3x-5 = 4(x-5)
=> 3x-5 = 4x-20
=> x = 15
General Intelligence and Reasoning
1. In a family Mr Anand has his wife and his two married brothers of whom one has two children and another has no issue. How many members are there in the family?
A) 12 members
B) 8 members
C) 6 members
D) 10 members
2. In a group of equal number of cows and herdsmen the number of legs was 28 less than four times the number of heads. The number of herdsmen was
3. If P is the husband of Q and R is the mother of S and Q, what is R to P?
4. The average age of 19 boys in a class is 21 years. If the teacher’s age is included, the average increases to 22 years. What is the teacher’s age?
A) 39 years
B) 41 years
C) 40 years
D) 44 years
5. Harish remembers that his father’s birthday is between 13th and 16th of June, whereas his sister remembers that their father’s birthday is between 14th and 18th of June. On which day is their father’s birthday, which both agree?
A) 14th June
B) 15th June
C) 16th June
D) 17th June
6. If CAT is coded as 3120, what code number can be given to NAVIN?
D) None of these
7. From the given alternative words, select the word which cannot be formed using the letters of the given word
8. Some letters are given with numbers from 1 to 7. Select the sequence of numbers which arranges the letters into a meaningful word.
S O U B R C E
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9. Arrange the given words in the sequence in which they occur in the Dictionary and locate the last word.
10. If ‘MERCURY’ is written as ‘FGIECAB’ in a code, how can ‘CURE’ be written in that code?
1. B; Mr Anand and his wife = 2
Prakash’s two married brothers = 4
Two children = 2
Total members = 8
2. D; Suppose the number of cows = x
Therefore, the number of herdsmen = x
According to the question,
4 × 2x – 28 = x × 2 + x × 4
⇒ 8x – 28 = 2x + 4x ⇔ 8x – 6x = 28
∴ x = 28/2 = 14
4. B; Total age of 19 boys = 19 × 21 = 399 years
Total age of 19 boys and teacher = 20 × 22 = 440 years
∴ Teacher’s age = 440 – 399 = 41 years
5. B; According to Harish, his father’s birthday may be on 14th or 15th June.
According to Harish’s sister, their father’s birthday may be on 15th, 16th or 17th June. Common Date Þ 15th June
7. B; There is no ‘S’ letter in the keyword.